[Spice-devel] autoconf for slirp

Yonit Halperin yhalperi at redhat.com
Sat Mar 27 23:03:57 PDT 2010

On 03/26/2010 11:45 AM, Alexander Larsson wrote:
> On Fri, 2010-03-26 at 10:25 +1000, Dave Airlie wrote:
>> this is quick and dirty, and not completely tested yet, but it makes
>> my life a little bit easier, since I
>> don't install stuff in /usr ever.
>
> I took this, cleaned it up and made it pass distcheck and commited.
>
> However, whats the general deal with us maintaining a copy of the slirp
> code from qemu? That code is in turn a cut and paste from an already
> existing (autoconf-using) upstream library at:
>
>    http://slirp.sourceforge.net/
>
> Why are we not using that? And if we have good reasons, why don't we
> call our copy something that does not conflict with the original
> package?

It is not the same as the upstream code. The main change: the original
code transfers the application layer of the packets to its destination
by using BSD sockets. We changed it to use a general interface for
socket, so we can use it to pass the packets to spice (tunnel channel).
No problem to change the name of the package...

Yonit.