[Spice-devel] Spice install problem

Alexander Larsson alexl at redhat.com
Wed May 26 02:56:58 PDT 2010

On Tue, 2010-05-25 at 16:34 -0500, Brian Milliron wrote:
> I posted this question to the kvm list as had been suggested.  I was
> told that is not the right list and vdesktop uses an outdated version of
> kvm and something about user code and kernel code having been forked.
> It doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me, but I'm still looking for
> answers to my problem.  I've included the original question below:
>

> Brian
>

> I apologize if this is not the right place for this question, but I'm
> running into some problems installing Spice .4 on my CentOS 5.5.  I was
> following the instructions here:
> http://www.spice-space.org/docs/spice_user_manual.pdf
>
> I've compiled and installed all the dependencies and have the spice
> client installed also, but ran into problems with the vdesktop.
> Specifically this portion of the instructions for my older kernel:

I don't know how the kvm/kernel stuff of vdesktop is set up really, but
i think your problem is that the kernels you're using are not compatible
somehow. Possibly because the rhel kernel you're using already has kvm
backports in it. Have you tried to not get the new kernel source (i.e.
act as if you had a new kernel).

Personally i never built the kernel part of vdesktop as the kvm modules
were always availible on the kernels I was running already.

       alexl at redhat.com            alexander.larsson at gmail.com
He's an oversexed albino ex-con who hangs with the wrong crowd. She's a
sarcastic cat-loving soap star with only herself to blame. They fight crime!