[Spice-devel] [Qemu-devel] RFC: usb redirection over the network, interesting outside of spice?

Anthony Liguori anthony at codemonkey.ws
Mon Nov 29 09:49:11 PST 2010

On 11/29/2010 11:37 AM, Attila Sukosd wrote:
> Hi,
> I guess it should be abstract enough to support multiple back-ends, be
> it a kernel driver or through libusb?

Is this something that should just live in libusb?

If what libusb presented QEMU was actually implemented as USB-over-IP,
QEMU wouldn't know the difference at all.  I think it would also be very
useful to be able for libusb-based applications to work with remote devices.

What is unclear to me is what role QEMU would play in setting up remove
USB-over-IP devices.  Pushing it down to the libusb layer completely
takes QEMU out the picture which creates a clean separation layer.
There are emulated devices in QEMU which we create and control and then
there are passthrough devices that QEMU doesn't have any role in creating.

Anthony Liguori