[Spice-devel] linux vdagent prototype, get it while it is hot :)

Hans de Goede hdegoede at redhat.com
Wed Sep 15 13:56:38 PDT 2010

Hi All,

As some of you know I've been working on a prototype for
a Linux agent.

I've most of the framework in place. Currently it does
not do anything but client mouse mode, but adding more
stuff should be relatively easy.

You can grab it here:
http://cgit.freedesktop.org/~jwrdegoede/vdagent-linux/

A simple "make" will give you a vdagentd and a vdagent, start
vdagentd as root, chmod 666 /tmp/vdagent (to be fixed) and
then start vdagent from your x11 session.

I used kraxels evdev userspace (uinput) device using agent
prototype as a basis for this.

The biggest difference is the addition of a separate process
to run in the xorg session (and communication between the 2).

With the current code this separate vdagent process notifies
the vdagentd of the x11 root window size, so that it can
adjust the uinput device's dimensions to match, this removes
the need for telling vdagentd the size manually, and makes
vdagentd automatically adjust the uinput device for xserver
resolution changes.

Regards,

Hans