[Spice-devel] linux vdagent progress report

Hans de Goede hdegoede at redhat.com
Sun Sep 19 22:53:01 PDT 2010

Hi All,

I've been making good progress with the linux vdagent this weekend
(I've been hacking on it during FUDcon).

It now fully supports client mouse mode without the need to
specify the resolution the guest xorg is running at whent
starting it, and it will automatically adjust to guest
xorg resolution changes.

It also supports the monitorconfig command, so
spicec -fauto-conf

Now works as advertised when connection to a Linux guest
(if it is running the agent).

To Do:
-capabilities negotiation (easy)
-cut and paste (once it is clear how that is supposed to work)
-security (between the vdagent daemon and the vdagent xorg client)

You can grab it here:
http://cgit.freedesktop.org/~jwrdegoede/vdagent-linux/

A simple "make" will give you a vdagentd and a vdagent, start
vdagentd as root, chmod 666 /tmp/vdagent (to be fixed) and
then start vdagent from your x11 session.

I used kraxels evdev userspace (uinput) device using agent
prototype as a basis for this.

Note that due to a kernel bug, unless you patch your kernel
vdagentd can get behind with mouse agent message processing,
this is caused by select on the virtio port blocking even
though there is data to be read, see:
http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/spice-devel/2010-September/001151.html

For details and a patch fixing this. I've already added this
patch to the F-14 kernels, so the next F-14 kernel build
won't have this issue.

Regards,

Hans