[Spice-devel] set initial depth

Alexander Larsson alexl at redhat.com
Mon Sep 20 03:58:39 PDT 2010

On Fri, 2010-09-17 at 18:15 -0400, bwellsnc wrote:
> I am running 0.6.0 and I have a quick question.  Is there a way to set
> the initial depth.  The -g doesn't seem to work.  I am trying to run
> Ubuntu 10.04 and it will not boot because it doesn't seem to know the
> initial screen resolution.  It I am able to set it to 640x480, then
> this should work or if I know what spice defaults to then I can set
> that in the grub configuration.

I'm not sure what you mean by initial depth. The guest OS will boot and
see the hardware as a generic vga compatible card, and use whatever
resolutions it would have used on any other vga card. Then when the qxl
driver is loaded it can support more resolutions and depths, but which
ones are used depends on how the guest os/drivers are setup.

       alexl at redhat.com            alexander.larsson at gmail.com
He's an oversexed misogynist senator who must take medication to keep him
sane. She's a brilliant paranoid schoolgirl living homeless in New York's
sewers. They fight crime!