[Spice-devel] confusion of new user

Alon Levy alevy at redhat.com
Sat Apr 2 02:13:20 PDT 2011

On Fri, Apr 01, 2011 at 01:28:51PM -0700, Konstantin Svist wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've just found out about the Spice project and had some trouble
> wrapping my brain around it (as a user):
>
> My main question was -- can I run Win32 guest on i686 host
> (apparently the answer is "no, but you can run win32 guest on x64
> host"). It would be nice if you could add that to the FAQ.
Ok.

> While trying to figure it out, I found on the FAQ page that there is
> no 32bit server but there is a 32bit client -- and here's another
Yes.

> confusion:
> There's a "Spice server" and "Spice client" -- since it's portrayed
> as an "alternative" to VNC in libvirt GUI, I immediately thought
> that just like VNC, Spice server runs on the guest OS and the client
> -- on the host OS.
> Maybe it would would be easier to digest if they were named a bit
> more consistently with Host/Guest nomenclature :)

It's an alternative because you can get display+mouse+keyboard through
spice instead of vnc. It isn't an alternative because it works the same
way internally. Internally it has a server and client, but the server lives
in the host and not in the guest. I understand the confusion, but the
nomeclature use is consistent - the server provides the connection to the
guest, It's lifetime is that of the guest. the client connects to the server,
it may disconnect, another can reconnect. It's just that the server is not
inside the guest, that's all.