[Spice-devel] vdagent vdservice and windows 2003 server

Arnon Gilboa agilboa at redhat.com
Thu Apr 28 06:04:24 PDT 2011

Gianluca Cecchi wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 28, 2011 at 12:34 PM, Gianluca Cecchi
> <gianluca.cecchi at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Apr 28, 2011 at 11:54 AM, Arnon Gilboa <agilboa at redhat.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Emre,
>>>
>>> Please try the updated binaries at:
>>> http://www.spice-space.org/download/binaries/vdagent-win32_28042011.zip
>>>
>>> Link added also at the download page:
>>> http://www.spice-space.org/download.html
>>>
>>> Enjoy,
>>> Arnon
>>>

>> I'm going to test too on my w2k3 guest.
>> Is it correct this workflow?
>> - I have to install virtio-serial before vdagent, so I configure
>> spicevmc channel in virt-manager
>> Questions:
>> a) is a newer version than 1.1.16 available?

i think the latest is 1.1.20. will update it soon
>> b) do I have to remove the tablet input device (as I read in a
>> November 2010 thread)? Or can I leave it?

you can leave it, but when the agent is up it will be preferred
>> - I install the virtio serial driver inside guest
>> Question:
>> a) which is the correct dir between the availbale ones to choose from
>> (Win7, Wlh, Wnet, WXp)?

I guess Wnet is for windows server 2003
>> - I install vdagent service putting the files inside the zip in a
>> common dir and then:
>> vdservice install

right, but first you need to stop and uninstall the previous one
>> Thanks for clarifications,
>> Gianluca
>>

> Hello, it works!
> I didn't remember that I already configured the virtio-serial on a
> w2k3 guest I had....
> So I ran
> sc delete vdservice
> sc install vdservice (with the new binaries)
> I start the service and it starts ok, remaining started....
>
> I can copy from guest to host and from host to guest!
> (using notepad in guest and gedit in host)
>
> Finally!
> Let me know if you need further particular tests
>
> Any news for testing also on win7, where I'm unable to run the agent till today?
> I have a guest already configured and can test and give feedback. Let me know.

I have no problem on win7. what issue do you have? remember to install
the service from admin cmd.
> BTW: still, it would be appreciated a clarification about the points I
> asked for in my previous e-mail

see above.