[Spice-devel] spicec and spice-gtk

Marc-André Lureau mlureau at redhat.com
Fri Apr 29 08:01:32 PDT 2011

Hi,

----- Original Message -----
> There are a number of companies that interface to spicec
> programmatically.
>
> These companies right now do a fork exec or whatever to run spicec
> from within their software products.
> There are a number of reasons why they do not implement the spice
> protocol within their products and why they don't include the spicec
> software as part of their code base for their projects.
>

> So, firstly I feel we should support command line with spice-gtk so
> these people can switch over quickly.

We have an option group, even provided as part of the spice-client-glib API, and usable from spicy:

$ spicy --help-spice
Usage:
  spicy [OPTION...] - spice client application

A Gtk client to connect to Spice servers.

Spice Options:
  --uri=<uri>                       Spice server uri
  -h, --host=<host>                 Spice server address
  -p, --port=<port>                 Spice server port
  -s, --secure-port=<port>          Spice server secure port
  --ca-file=<file>                  Truststore file for secure connections
  -w, --password=<password>         Server password
  --host-subject=<host-subject>     Subject of the host certificate (field=value pairs separated by commas)

Report bugs to spice-devel at lists.freedesktop.org.

> Then I recommend that we create a library/framework/API so that
> companies can use spice much easier programmatically.

Spice-Gtk has a complete API. It allows to create complete clients without GTK using spice-client-glib.

See reference documentation: http://fedorapeople.org/~elmarco/spice-gtk/

regards

--
Marc-André Lureau