[Spice-devel] Question about Spice and Display Channel

Yonit Halperin yhalperi at redhat.com
Thu Aug 4 04:42:38 PDT 2011

On 08/03/2011 09:33 PM, Andrea Celestino wrote:
> Hi,
> I want to try to implements a new channel dedicated to streaming
> video. It's only an experiment, I don't know if this can bring an
> improvement.
> I would like to know some guidelines for implementing this channel. In
> spice every channel is a different socket and on the client side is a
> different thread. What I need to do is to create this new socket, and
> every time a video stream is detected I will send the data in this new
> channel instead of display channel.
> Is there something I need to take into account with this work? Any
> suggestions are accepted.
With respect to the server, currently the video streaming logic is not
independent from the main data structures of the worker. Video streams
currently holds reference to the last qxl drawable in the stream. It is
used, for example, for resending this drawable losslessly when the
stream is detached (see red_detach_stream_gracefully). In addition, the
drawables tree is used for clipping video streams (see
red_streams_update_clip).

Cheers,
Yonit.