[Spice-devel] Unfair comparisons with RDP

John A. Sullivan III jsullivan at opensourcedevel.com
Fri Jul 1 02:24:31 PDT 2011

On Fri, 2011-07-01 at 10:05 +0200, Gianluca Cecchi wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 30, 2011 at 8:42 PM, John A. Sullivan III  wrote:
> > Sorry - the VM is Windows Server 2008, client is Debian Squeeze, host is
> > Fedora 15 - John
>
> Actually you already wrote details about the guest in one of your
> previous e-mails. And in fact I have a question for that.. see below
> I would like to contribute with some numbers and probably even if I
> have no so much time, I probably can do it with several environments
> that I'm going to detail later but substantially could be, in terms of
> hypervisors structure:
>
> - host: rh el 6.1 (two nodes cluster) with its default spice/libvirtd
> components for guests
> (2 x HP BL685 G1 with 4xdual-core 3GHz AMD cpu and 48Gb of ram)
> - host: fedora15 with its default spice/libvirtd components for guests
> (Dell R815 with 4xtwelve-core 2,2GHz Intel cpu + HT and 64Gb of ram)
>
> and perhaps
> - host: rhev-H in a rhev 2.2 infrastructure with its default components
> (rhev-h host is a Dell R815 with 4xtwelve-core 2,2GHz Intel cpu + HT
> and 64Gb of ram)
> I could have a limited time-slot on this latest one. to be verified if
> i can disclose numbers for it... donna
>
> Questions:
> 1) when you write bytes transferred how did you get those? ifconfig on
> fedora15 interface or with tcpdump or with what?
tcpdump - actually Wireshark running on the client.
> 2) windows server 2008 is useful in general, but if we aim at testing
> desktop virtualization too, perhaps we should also use at least
> windows 7 and perhaps windows xp ... or not? And we could have
> different numbers with the same hypervisor base...
We are a managed service provider so we are prohibited from offering
Windows 7.  We are only allowed to license Windows Server 2008 under
SPLA licensing hence the choice.  Although we do have one test Windows 7
system.
TSPlus (www.tsplus.net) is running on the same system.  Thanks - John