[Spice-devel] Spice-iOS

Cliff Sharp csharp at vbridges.com
Fri Jul 8 08:35:54 PDT 2011

My feeling is that it would be best to totally replace/remove glib and as many unix libraries as makes sense; mainly from performance and cross platform perspectives. I feel that continuing to try and port all these unix based libraries to run on smart devices (even though a number of these smart devices contain custom unix kernels) is way too time consuming and down the road may lead to be counter productive due to the factors I mention below. Also, all these unix libraries, as part of a smart device bundles, require a very large memory footprint.

All these smart devices (i.e. iOS, Android OS, and Blackberry) are very limited with regards to CPU speed, memory capacity, and resources in general.

Scalability is very limited - on the other hand with cloud based support, HTML5/css/javascript on servers and webviews on the devices - the scalability has some greater potential. But still cpu and memory are real limiting factors.

____

Cliff Sharp | csharp at vbridges.com