[Spice-devel] RFC: spice plans for usb-redir + needed spice-server API extensions

Gerd Hoffmann kraxel at redhat.com
Tue Jul 19 08:46:36 PDT 2011

   Hi,

> 3) spice server asks qemu to dynamically create a new spicevmc chardev
> + usb-redir device couple (this is the part that needs the API extension).

That isn't going to fly.  Then you'll have magic usb devices on the usb
bus libvirt doesn't know about.  Which can cause trouble in various
corner cases, such as libvirt wanting to hotplug a usb device into a usb
port which has been taken by a usb-redir device.

I think we have to create usb-redir devices when creating the virtual
machine, so we have virtual usb ports available to the spice client,
which then can "plug" devices in there for forwarding.

cheers,
   Gerd