[Spice-devel] Traces of BSOD, lost mouse scroll events, performance issues

John A. Sullivan III jsullivan at opensourcedevel.com
Fri Jul 22 04:16:01 PDT 2011

Hello, all.  Thanks to Yaniv, I have nice new .deb packages for
Wireshark 1.6.1 including the SPICE dissector.  These were a pain to
create because of some errors in the Wireshark tarball so, if anyone
would like them or the source, please let me know (sorry RPMers!).

In any event, I was able to catch some important traces including a
BSOD, lost mouse scroll events, and general performance issues compared
to RDP.  If anyone would like the traces, let me know and I'll email
them off list.  The archive of the four traces and notes is about 4.1MB.

The lost mouse scroll events is something I have reported previously.
In fact, I should dig out the bug report and attach the traces there.  I
find I am able to use the mouse wheel to scroll in Windows but I lose
almost but not quite all such events in Linux.  In all cases, this is
with client and protocol 0.8.1 on the clients.  The server has server
0.8.1 and protocol 0.8.0.  I've not yet seen spice-protocol on the
fedora repositories yet.

I'll discuss the performance issues in a separate email.  Thanks - John