[Spice-devel] Announcing spice 0.9.0

John A. Sullivan III jsullivan at opensourcedevel.com
Sat Jul 23 13:23:43 PDT 2011

On Sat, 2011-07-23 at 21:02 +0300, Alon Levy wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 23, 2011 at 01:21:18PM -0400, John A. Sullivan III wrote:

> > > Unfortunately I can't give you an ETA for that, or even say it will happen. We
> > > are currently focused on getting the next 0.10.0 release, and working on the next
> > > RHEL 6.2 releases.
> > >
> > > Why not try the 0.9.0 release? it is what will become 0.10.0 and could certainly
> > > use some more users. It should be pretty stable (Famous Last Words).
> > >
> > > Alon
> > We were trying to stay with the repositories but, considering the issues
> > we are having with 0.8 as we examine if it is production ready, we
> > probably should go with 0.9.  Is there a repository for it? If not, is
>
> There is no repository for 0.9.
>
> I don't think there is *that* much difference between 0.8 and 0.9 - if you
> want to see the improvement Christophe did to the mjpeg encoding, sure, but
> don't expect it to fix the 1:5 ratio you noticed. I haven't tried to
> reproduce that ratio yet - so I don't know if it is your environment or
> just a shortage of spice, but the bottom line is it won't be fixed by
> switching to 0.9
>
> > it safe to use the 0.8 source rpms and rebuild with new source? If not,
> > we'll simply compile from source and try to keep it all straight.
> > Thanks - John
> >
> It shoud work by just dropping in the 0.9 source and changing the version
> in the spec, or you can build from source.

We'll give it a whirl and I'll rebuild the RPMs.

I'm eager to see the video difference as video is one of the big drivers
of our interest in SPICE.  To reap the benefits, do both sides of the
connection need to be using libjpeg-turbo, e.g., I don't think that's an
easy option on Squeeze right now.  Thanks - John