[Spice-devel] SPICE video stream performance

李彪 thomas.li at sinobot.com.cn
Mon Jun 6 03:05:32 PDT 2011

hi,

I am hesitating to choose the VM type for desktop virtualization: Whether it is KVM-based or VBOX-based,
because we need running Video stream app on VM.
the video stream's path looks like  below:

                        Cable                                  IP                              IP
network camera ----> Digital Video Recorder ----> Stream Server  ----> PCs plus Stream client

we hope to run Stream Client in VM, instead of physical PC. so the video stream's path looks like:

                        Cable                                  IP                              IP                                      SPICE
 network camera ----> Digital Video Recorder ----> Stream Server  ----> VMs plus Stream client   ----> Spice Client

the video format is H.264 between Stream Client and Stream server, but I know in SPICE protocol it is M-JPEG (can it be replace with h.264 module? is this module available ? ).
and the network we use is Gigabit.
so I wonder whether there is video performance analysis on SPICE protocol, and it would be better if compared to Vbox.

Thomas