[Spice-devel] Using Windows 7 qxl

John A. Sullivan III jsullivan at opensourcedevel.com
Thu Jun 16 13:46:04 PDT 2011

On Fri, 2011-06-17 at 00:35 +0800, 王永博 wrote:
> how to use qxl driver in windows 7 . win7 also choose zhe standar vga
> driver itself .
>
> and say that is zhe best and newest.

<snip>
I assume this is the question you are asking from the digest.  We
followed the instructions at
http://spice-space.org/page/WinQXL

The only part where we stumbled was signing the drivers.  Here are our
internal notes on what we did to make that work. There is probably an
easier way but I am pretty Windows ignorant:

Download and install the WinQual toolkit:
https://winqual.microsoft.com/member/SubmissionWizard/controls/WinqualSubmissionTool.msi
This is to obtain Inf2Cat.exe
Download and install the MS SDK:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=6b6c21d2-2006-4afa-9702-529fa782d63b
This is for Makecert.exe and signtool.exe
Go to the SDK Bin directory and run:
Makecert -r -pe -n "CN=TestCertForQXL" -ss "QXLTestCert" C:\qxldriver\qxlcert.cer

Go to the WinQual directory and run:
Inf2cat.exe /driver:C:\qxldriver\ /os:7_X64

Return to the SDK Bin directory and run:
signtool sign /a /v /s "QXLTestCert" /n "TestCertForQXL" c:\qxldriver\qxl.cat
signtool sign /a /v /s "QXLTestCert" /n "TestCertForQXL" c:\qxldriver\qxl.sys
signtool sign /a /v /s "QXLTestCert" /n "TestCertForQXL" c:\qxldriver\qxldd.dll
bcdedit.exe -set TESTSIGNING ON

Go to the Device Manager, choose the QXL Video Driver and update it
pointing specifically to the new, signed driver.  This assumes we are
updating.  I suppose we would simply install the driver when prompted
for new hardware if this was the first attempt.  It appears we can
simply copy the driver directory to W2K8 and install the same way.