[Spice-devel] repository reorg

Hans de Goede hdegoede at redhat.com
Thu Jun 23 01:50:14 PDT 2011

Hi,

On 06/22/2011 08:01 PM, Alon Levy wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 22, 2011 at 08:14:57PM +0300, Uri Lublin wrote:

<snip snip>

>> What will you do with other components that require spice-protocol,
>> such as spice-vdagent.
>>

> we will still package spice-protocol as an rpm, and if you want to build from git
> you would just make install the server instead of the spice-protocol.

That makes no sense, needing to install the server to build the agent, note
that if we were to move the windows agent over to using the shared agent
proto headers instead of a private copy (which we should) this would require
building the server on windows!

Likewise this would disallow building a 32 bit agent, since the server is
64 bit only ...

Note I'm in favor of some kind of repository re-org, but I think it should
be done in such a way, that:

1) guest tools / drivers can be build using shared (rather then private copy of)
qxldev / agent proto headers, without requiring anything but some tarbal with
those headers (iow keep the bits needed to build qxl device drivers and agent
in spice-proto or some such)

2) clients should be able to build using just the new
    common (+ spice-proto or some such)

3) browser plugins should be able to build using just spice-proto (or some such)

The idea here is to avoid dependency hell were it comes to building various bits,
esp. bits which we want to build on multiple operating systems.

Regards,

Hans