[Spice-devel] repository reorg

Christophe Fergeau cfergeau at redhat.com
Thu Jun 23 03:28:31 PDT 2011

On Thu, Jun 23, 2011 at 12:18:11PM +0200, Alon Levy wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 22, 2011 at 05:00:10PM +0200, Alon Levy wrote:
> > Hi All,
>
> Ok, take two with Gerd's and Hans's and Uri's comments.
>
>  (1) spice-protocol - keep it, move code generation stuff here
>  (spice_codegen.py, python_modules, spice*.proto), and have the dist tarball
>  contain the cpp and c files resulting from running it.
>
>  (2) spice-server - new repo from spice/server, will submodule common. will
>  keep requiring spice-protocol as a separate entity, and will reference the c
>  files therein (does this make any sense, carrying c files as installed files?
>  I can't think of any other outcome of moving the codegen to spice-protocol)

Installing generated C files on the system as part of spice-protocol, and
referring these from spice-server looks really ugly to me. Another option
would be to install the python code and the .proto file as part of
spice-protocol and to use these system-wide tools to generate the .c files
as we do already. This would only need minimal changes to the build system,
and we could still ship the generated files as part of each project
tarballs (a bit unusual, but why not).

Another option could be to combine common and spice-protocol, and to build
the generated files as part of this combination, but I don't know if it makes
sense at all.