[Spice-devel] repository reorg

Alon Levy alevy at redhat.com
Thu Jun 23 05:05:22 PDT 2011

On Thu, Jun 23, 2011 at 01:56:19PM +0200, Marc-André Lureau wrote:
> Hi
>
> On Thu, Jun 23, 2011 at 1:10 PM, Alon Levy <alevy at redhat.com> wrote:
> >>

> > Ok, so take three:
> >
> >  (1) spice-protocol - remains unchanged. specifically, despite the name, will
> >  not contain the .proto nor the python codegen bits nor the generated files.
>
> I fail to see why that couldn't be part of a spice-common/protocol
> subdirectory, and shipped as a seperate devel package by
> distributions. But I didn't read all the conversation. Can you briefly
> give the rationale of the changes in your upcoming propositions?

We can't rely on distributions packaging, we want our tarballs to be easy to use.
spice-protocol as is is small, and contains what is required by drivers, agent,
activeX and xpi. So no reason to make it larger. Common will contain what is required
by the client and server.

> >  (2) spice-common (repository spice/common) - new repository, contains:
> >  spice*.proto
> >  spice_codegen.py and friends (python_modules subdir)
> >  produces a proper shared library, used by spice-server, spice-client, spice-gtk, named
> >  libspice-common.so.0, containing marshalling and rendering code (including any decoder/encoder)
> >  plus anything else currently in common (like ssl-verify).
>
> That's an ideal goal, but to avoid having to deal with creating a
> proper library (with stability garantee etc..), I would start with a
> submodule that will slowly move to various clean lib*.

I am out of my depth about this. Hans, Gerd?

> >  (3) spice-client - breakoff client subdir from current spice (maybe rename+remove-the-rest to keep history)
>
> Agree with the fact that it should be split off. But since it's not
> going to be the officialy maintained spice-client, I would suggest the
> name "spicec" instead.
No problem with this I guess. Anyone else?

> >  (4) spice-server - rename current spice repo (just to keep history)
> >  (5) spice-gtk - remains, just move it to freedesktop now that we want to keep it.
>
> ack
>
> >  (6) spice-all - convenience repository that has the rest as submodules and has a helpful makefile to build them all.
>
> Well, why not just use jhbuild? it does the job fine..
Good idea.