[Spice-devel] repository reorg

Uri Lublin uril at redhat.com
Thu Jun 23 06:25:34 PDT 2011

On 06/23/2011 02:10 PM, Alon Levy wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 23, 2011 at 12:18:11PM +0200, Alon Levy wrote:
>> On Wed, Jun 22, 2011 at 05:00:10PM +0200, Alon Levy wrote:
>>> Hi All,
>>

> Ok, so take three:
>
>   (1) spice-protocol - remains unchanged. specifically, despite the name, will
>    not contain the .proto nor the python codegen bits nor the generated files.
>
>   (2) spice-common (repository spice/common) - new repository, contains:
>    spice*.proto
>    spice_codegen.py and friends (python_modules subdir)
>    produces a proper shared library, used by spice-server, spice-client, spice-gtk, named
>    libspice-common.so.0, containing marshalling and rendering code (including any decoder/encoder)
>    plus anything else currently in common (like ssl-verify).

I think making libspice-common.so.0 will take (a bit) more work than initially
expected. Note that both server/ and client/ source files #include .c files of
common/ .

>   (3) spice-client - breakoff client subdir from current spice (maybe rename+remove-the-rest to keep history)
>
>   (4) spice-server - rename current spice repo (just to keep history)
>
>   (5) spice-gtk - remains, just move it to freedesktop now that we want to keep it.
>
>   (6) spice-all - convenience repository that has the rest as submodules and has a helpful makefile to build them all.

Lots of git repos.

Just a quick history scan:
0.2 -- one git to rule them all (and one big tarball)
0.4 -- a single git for server,client,common (without qxl, spicex)
        split tarballs --> ability to generate 3 different
                           tarballs for server,client,common
0.6 -- a single tarball + introducing spice-protocol
* spice-gtk repo created
0.8 -- similar to 0.6
0.10 -- splitting into 6 git repos (?).