[Spice-devel] Current status of XSpice driver

Alon Levy alevy at redhat.com
Sat Jun 25 11:38:57 PDT 2011

On Sat, Jun 25, 2011 at 06:01:27PM +0200, Sebastian Hesselbarth wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'd like to ask about the current and future status of the XSpice driver for
> Xorg. I am very interested in virtualizing desktops for a bunch of users without
It is in active development, no stable release yet. It's meant to allow using spice
clients to connect to an X server directly, never mind if it is running in a vm or not.
It reuses the X driver, so it has the same features (and lacks the same features).

> the need of a full-blown virtual machine. I once compiled the driver from git
> but without luck of connecting a client to it (errors were about server and
> client disagree about modes AFAIR).

If you used master branch please pull and try again. I have no such problems, so
I'd like to know why it isn't working for you. I'm using master spice+spice-protocl
and just standard X clients. I am compiling against X master, so perhaps that's the
problem. (or maybe I neglected to pull something and I'm actually using an old version
of one of the protos).

> Can someone please clarify the requirements for compiling the current XSpice
> driver. I really like to help improve the driver with debugging, coding, and
> suggestions.
I mainly test it with everything needed built from git. Also, I've just updated
master (forced), but generally the most uptodate right now is the xspice.vN (N=5 atm).

Everything means xserver and other dependencies needed at runtime (xkbcomp etc.).
I haven't documented everything yet, but see README.xspice:
 http://cgit.freedesktop.org/~alon/xspice/tree/README.xspice