[Spice-devel] Is Nagle disabled?

John A. Sullivan III jsullivan at opensourcedevel.com
Mon Jun 27 15:42:40 PDT 2011

Hello, all.  I put on my network engineer hat today and started doing
packet traces of SPICE to see what we could do from a systems
perspective to reduce the perceived latency.

SPICE does not appear to be fragmenting - in fact the do not fragment
bit is set so I assume we are doing MTU discovery somewhere along the
way.

Somewhere in the back of my mind, I remembered something about
optimizing iSCSI connections by disabling the Nagle algorithm.  I don't
think we can do this from the command line in Linux as it is not exposed
in sysctl (at least I didn't see the no_delay option in /proc).  I
gather it is set when the socket is created.  Does SPICE disable Nagle
in both client and server when it creates the socket? Thanks - John