[Spice-devel] windows bsod with spice 0.8.1

Emre Erenoglu erenoglu at gmail.com
Wed May 4 06:10:31 PDT 2011

On Wed, May 4, 2011 at 2:12 PM, Alon Levy <alevy at redhat.com> wrote:

> On Wed, May 04, 2011 at 01:45:39PM +0400, Emre Erenoglu wrote:
> > On Wed, Apr 27, 2011 at 1:16 AM, Emre Erenoglu <erenoglu at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I started to see frequent crashes with my guests running windows xp and
> > > windows server 2003 x86.  The bsod appears on qxldd.dll. I can give
> further
> > > info if needed.
> > >
> > > The host is Linux x86_64, qemu 0.14, spice 0.8.1. Guest has qxl 0.6.1
> > > drivers loaded. I may revert back to 0.8.0 since it was not crashing.
> > > Nothing changed in the guests when I upgraded spice from 0.8.0 to
> 0.8.1.
> > >

> > Some updates on the original issue. I checked a lot and I found out that
> the
> > issue continued with any version of spice and guest qxl drivers.
> >
> > I finally digged down to the point that, the qemu comment line which
> states
> > "   -global qxl-vga.vram_size=9xxxxxx  " parameter is the problem. When
> the
> > guest is started with 9 MB of video memory given as comment line
> parameter
> > to qemu, the guest qxldd driver crashes with BSOD.
>
> Why was it started with 9MB? anyway, good catch, we should add a check for
> this
> in the driver (and probably just refuse to load). Could you open a bug on
> this
> in bugzilla.freedesktop.org?

This is added by libvirt (virt-manager) when launching qemu. Do we need to
file it against libvirt or against spice?  I will post this to the libvirt
list also.

Btw, rather than refusing to load, I think we should just limit the possible
resolutions. I'm not sure if the resolutions are the issue though. The crash
was not happening immediately and it was working OK with that 9 MB memory.
When I launched outlook, or IE8, or just in the middle of an application, it
could crash and bsod.
--
Emre