[Spice-devel] anyone using skype with windows7 successfully?

Gianluca Cecchi gianluca.cecchi at gmail.com
Sun May 8 02:20:40 PDT 2011

On Sun, May 8, 2011 at 10:57 AM, Yaniv Kaul <ykaul at redhat.com> wrote:

> Windows 7 32 bit guest
> and trying to use skype, I'm able to open the application and hear the
> typical sound right after startup but after a few seconds I get an
> error and need to close with this kind of information:
>
> We've had issues in the past (with ancient Skype and on XP) when the CPU had
> some flags Skype did not expect (or expected and the vCPU lacked).
> Can you try with '-cpu host' see if there's a difference?
> Y.

This seems to fix the skype crash indeed for me too.
I selected "copy host cpu configuration " in virt-manager.
I don't know if this is what you suggested or if I should use a sort
of wrapper for qemu launch.

Previous:
/usr/bin/qemu-kvm -S -M pc-0.14 -enable-kvm -m 1536 -smp
1,sockets=1,cores=1,threads=1 -name w7test

Now after this setting:
/usr/bin/qemu-kvm -S -M pc-0.14 -cpu
core2duo,+lahf_lm,+sse4.1,+xtpr,+cx16,+tm2,+est,+vmx,+ds_cpl,+pbe,+tm,+ht,+ss,+acpi,+ds
-enable-kvm -m 1536 -smp 1,sockets=1,cores=1,threads=1 -name w7test

skype test call I would say is perfect, probably better than native
one on Linux (also due to different app quality itself between
platforms)...

The downside I'm experimenting is many spicy crashes:
- always when doing copy from host to guest
- sometimes simply opening the browser

- One time as soon as I make the copy from host I get the crash in
spicy with this inside log of host
handle_dev_input: oom current 807 pipe 0
reds_main_handle_message: invalid agent message
reds_disconnect:
red_dispatcher_shutdown_cursor_peer:
handle_dev_input: cursor disconnect
red_dispatcher_shutdown_peer:
handle_dev_input: disconnect

Then I rereun spicy and I'm able to run the paste of the previous copy....

Any hint, eventually in debugging to help?
Gianluca