[Spice-devel] spice-gtk : magic key options

Frédéric Grelot fredericg_99 at yahoo.fr
Tue May 31 13:45:20 PDT 2011

Hi All,

I'm using spicy more and more, and all I can say is that combined with spice agent, it's getting more and more pleasant!
I would like to make a suggestion regarding the key combinations grabbed by the client : when using photoshop for example (Yes, it works very well over 100Mbit network, 1440*1280 fullscreen), some key combinations don't work well. In particular, alt works alone (client's cursor gets changed), but you can't press another key together with it nor click (zoom out in photoshop is with alt+space+click, or alt+click when already in pan mode, which doesn't work either). When I try that, the gtk client's menu appears, and that is very frustrating...
That's my first point : at the moment, only shift+F11/F12 are supposed to interact with the outside, but combinations involving Alt interfere.
My second point would be about a configuration option : I used to use Virtualbox, and there is a possibility to choose the key that gets intercepted. Using specifically "Right shift" (which is, otherwise, almost never used), I solved all my problems : I'm not sure if there is already a configuration framework for storing user-defined options in spicy, but maybe that would be a good thing...
I found that "right shift" is a very good option, but I know it can't be universal, since some keyboard may not make the difference between the two, and some may even have no right shift key...
I talked only about a single "magic key", regarding how VB works : the base key (or combination, it can be "Alt+Ctrl" for example) is defined, and gives access to all shortcuts : key+F for fullscreen, "magic key"+other key for the other functions....

Sorry for not helping much in this project that I really believe in, but I hope that at least my user feedback will help you!

Frederic.