[Spice-devel] Need help getting qxl and vdi_port installed in XP guest

Todd And Margo Chester toddandmargo at gmail.com
Tue Nov 29 12:55:38 PST 2011

Hi All,

Help!

This is really two topics I need help with. I am trying to get the qxl
driver
and the vdiport drivers installed into my XP Pro SP3 guest.

1) XP Device Manager: vport0p1:

In the user's manual, page 15, section 6.1.1, it states:

vdiport driver install and removal is performed similarly to the QXL driver,
but this time using the vdi_port.inf and vdi_port.sys files instead.

I have scoured
http://spice-space.org/download/binaries/

looking for vdi_port.inf and vdi_port.sys with no success. Am I blind?

2) XP Device Manager: Video Controller (VGA Compatible):

On the same manual page, it states:

▪ Put the installation information (qxl.inf), miniport driver (qxl.sys) and
display driver (qxldd.dll) files in a directory visible by the guest.

I have done so. Problem: when I point my device driver update dialog to
the directory, I get:

The location you specified does not contain any device information files

The files I am pointing at are:
qxl.cat
qxl.inf
qxl.sys