[Spice-devel] migration and qemu/spice versions

Yonit Halperin yhalperi at redhat.com
Tue Sep 6 02:54:46 PDT 2011

Hi,
I'm working on the changes discussed in the thread "changing the timing
of spice client linking in migration (RHBZ #725009)".
In order to be backward compatible with respect to spice-server and qemu
we need
(1) new qemu calling the old switch_host if the server is old (instead
of spice_server_migrate_end)
(2) new spice-server using the old switch host (and not the new
migration mechanism) if qemu is old.

How to distinguish old qemu/spice from a new one?
For spice server we can just bump SPICE_SERVER_VERSION.
However, it is not clear what to bump for qemu, SPICE_INTERFACE_CORE_MINOR?

Instead, I think we should bump spice version and add interface for
migration (which currently will only be used for versions check).
The new spice server will call switch host if the migration interface is
not added.

comments?
Yonit.