[Spice-devel] vdagent\vdservice W 2008R2 guest under Fedora 15

sean darcy seandarcy2 at gmail.com
Sun Sep 25 08:14:48 PDT 2011

On 09/25/2011 07:25 AM, Arnon Gilboa wrote:
> Hi Sean,
> Remember to run cmd as Administrator.
> Is Z a network drive? put vdservice & vdagent on local drive.
> If it still fails, please send %windir\temp\vdservice.log & vdagent.log.
> Regarding the qxl driver, refer to the installing section in
> http://spice-space.org/page/WinQXL.
> Thanks,
> Arnon
>
> sean darcy wrote:
>> I'm trying to get spice working on a Windows 2008R2 x64 server running
>> as guest under Fedora 15.
>>
>> vdagent-win32_20110801.zip
>>
>> and got qxl from git.
>>
>> Built and installed the qxl driver as described in
>> http://spice-space.org/page/WinQXL#How_to_build_the_driver.
>>
>> Using virt-manager, I've selected qxl as the video driver and qxl
>> server instead of vnc.
>>
>> Rebooted.
>>
>> When I tried to set up vdagent:
>>
>>> Z:\spice\20110918\vdagent-win-x64>vdservice uninstall
>>> Service removed successfully
>>>
>>> Z:\spice\20110918\vdagent-win-x64>vdagent
>>>
>>> Z:\spice\20110918\vdagent-win-x64>vdservice install
>>> Service installed successfully
>>>
>>> Z:\spice\20110918\vdagent-win-x64>net start vdservice
>>> System error 2 has occurred.
>>>
>>> The system cannot find the file specified.
>>>

>> vdservice does not show up under "Services" in Windows configuration
>> tool, so I can't start it from there.
>>
>> And windows does not see the qxl adapter as new hardware. I can't
>> install the qxl drivers as an update to the vga adapter.
>>
>> Any help appreciated.
>>
>> sean

Thanks for the reply. I put vdagent and vdservice on C:. That did the trick.

But still no luck for qxl. I did follow the build and install
instructions in http://spice-space.org/page/WinQXL. qxl.sys is in
C:\windows\system32\drivers and qxldd.dll is in system32.

C:\qxl has:

qxl.inf
qxl.sys
qxldd.dll
SpiceTestCer.cer

If I use Device Manager to update the display driver from vga, and point
to c:\qxl, Device Manager still uses the vga adapter.

Shouldn't I expect a "New Hardware" dialog on reboot if virt-manager has
qxl for Video? BTW, virt-manager-0.9.0-5.fc15.noarch.

sean