[Spice-devel] can't connect with virt-viewer on windows

Marten Lehmann lehmann at cnm.de
Sat Jun 9 13:48:34 PDT 2012

Hello,

I downloaded the pre-compiled virt-viewer for windows today (from
http://spice-space.org/download/gtk/windows/virt-viewer-0.5.3_x64.exe)
but opposed to the windows SPICEc, there is no graphical connection
screen. Unfortunately, there also isn't any example for a valid spice
connection URI. I tried several combinations, e.g.

virt-viewer --connect qemu://server:port/ guestname

But the client cannot get a connection to the server (it works fine with
SPICEc), the debugging output isn't helpful as well. I even find the man
page strange: "virt-viewer is a minimal tool for displaying the
graphical console of a virtual machine. The console is accessed using
the VNC or SPICE protocol." So how does virt-viewer know whether to
connect by VNC oder SPICE? There is no according switch or parameter
according virt-viewer --help or --help-spice.

virt-viewer --connect spice://server:port/ guestname

doesn't work as well.

Kind regards
Marten