[Spice-devel] Is it possible to implement file system redirection in SPICE?

Alon Levy alevy at redhat.com
Sun Mar 25 03:27:12 PDT 2012

On Sat, Mar 24, 2012 at 04:07:41PM +0800, xufango wrote:
> Is it possible to implement a channel in SPICE that can redirect local disk to a remote virtual machine like RDP?

Yes.

> Then it will allows access between the server and the client file system drivers by redirecting all input/output requests and responses between the two.
>
> And no need to implement a usb redirection function.

I think this will still be needed, there are many uses for USB
redirection that are not handled by file system redirection, like
printing, web cams, security/license dongles, microcontroller
development.

Printing and Web cams (video) would be good candidates for their own
specialized transport, like filesystem passthrough.

FWIW there is someone working on filesystem passthrough using 9pfs. The
main stumbling block there is lack of a windows driver.