[Spice-devel] [bug] tripping an assert (regularly!) in release_drawable in red_worker.c

Nahum Shalman nshalman at elys.com
Tue May 1 07:39:01 PDT 2012

I'm much happier about this one since it now happens to me pretty much
every time I use a VM.
Once again, I'm using the latest bits as of a couple days ago with a
modified qemu running under illumos.

I'm reliably tripping an assert in red_worker.c
(it's annoying when that happens... qemu just sort of spins off into
crazy land rather than dumping core and exiting.)

This is the tripped assert:
SpiceWorker-ERROR **: red_worker.c:1736:release_drawable: assertion
`!drawable->stream' failed

I hacked up all the calls to release_drawable to include a matching
assert above the call to isolate which call was tripping it, and it
looks like it's the last one in red_process_drawable

I have a couple of thoughts:

1. Can someone familiar with the (scary) innards of red_worker.c take a
look and see if anything stands out?
2. Should we consider beefing up the implementation of red_assert to
have it generate a stack trace and/or have it cause qemu to dump core?
This seems reasonable to me since QEMU seems to go crazy when this happens.

Thanks for your time,
Nahum