[Spice-devel] More on xspice + failure in net ping over vpn

Jeremy White jwhite at codeweavers.com
Sun May 6 07:10:12 PDT 2012

> There is a thread for the display+cursor channel, but the rest are using
> the main (and only) X server thread. Specifically the main channel,
> which sends the ping message, is in that thread. I don't understand the
> issue - is the select not being reached, or is it missing the spice fds?

Ah, okay, I hadn't figured out that the main thread is the X server
thread.  I also struggled finding documentation from X on
RegisterBlockAndWakeupHandlers.  It looks like the primary way our code
gets activated is via xspice_wakeup_handler, where we call
select_and_check_watches().  But only if nfds is > 0.

So I'm not sure if there is a way to get X to also watch our fds; that
would be best, right?  My quick googling turned up
xf86AddEnabledDevice() and/or xf86InstallSIGIOHandler(), but here my
ignorance really shines.

If not, does xspice_wakeup_handler get called with nfds == 0 reliably
enough that my patch would be 'good enough'?

Cheers,

Jeremy