[Spice-devel] xf86-video-qxl performance

Jeremy White jwhite at codeweavers.com
Wed May 23 13:20:21 PDT 2012

I need to improve the performance of the xf86-video-qxl driver; aka
xspice; by a fairly substantial margin.

I've set up a test case - LibreOffice over an 80 ms latency connection -
that demonstrates that it's got quite a long way to go.  (The current
case appears to suffer from an excessive set of draw fill operations).

Has any work been done on the 'Current plan' listed in the TODO?
Can I help in any way?

Also, as a crazy idea, has anyone considered implementing a pure
streaming video driver?  That is, what if we had a frame buffer driver,
and then a thread that fired 29 times a second to drive a theora or vp8
encoder, simply feeding the current frame at those intervals.

The advantage to that crazy proposal is that it would likely make the
pure html5 client work 'perfectly'.  The obvious disadvantage is that it
would consume a lot more cpu resources on the host, although it's not
clear to me how substantial that would be.

Thoughts?

Cheers,

Jeremy