[Spice-devel] xf86-video-qxl performance

Marc-André Lureau marcandre.lureau at gmail.com
Thu May 24 04:14:20 PDT 2012

On Thu, May 24, 2012 at 9:35 AM, Alon Levy <alevy at redhat.com> wrote:
> This one looks interesting:
> http://lags.leetcode.net/codec.html
>
> I also don't know vp8 enough, maybe it's possible to use it as
> lossless? Also like Marc-Andre said, compression speed is a major issue.

A general lossless video codec is not as useful as it might seem. And
apart from RAW storage, coding tests and professional usage, I don't
think they have much practical use. A desktop picture has very
peculiar characteristics that can be treated more efficiently. Perhaps
it would be interesting to compare the bandwidth of a desktop pictures
stream (without video playback) compressed with one of those lossless
codec with Spice, and see if there is something to learn from that.
The point was also to try to reuse an existing "standard" (cough)
video codec from the browser.

--
Marc-André Lureau