[Spice-devel] A few questions about Spice

Christophe Fergeau cfergeau at redhat.com
Fri Oct 5 02:43:03 PDT 2012

Hey,

On Tue, Oct 02, 2012 at 06:06:54PM +0200, Vincent Desprez wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> First let me thank you for the wonderful work that is Spice. I
> discovered it just a week ago
> and am really enthusiastic about it. Nevertheless I have a few
> questions about the further
> development of the soft:
>  - I see that you plan to extend the spice protocol to physical
> machines. Could you explain
> me how you plan to achieve it?

The QXL driver already has some support for that, see
http://cgit.freedesktop.org/xorg/driver/xf86-video-qxl/ , this is enabled
through the --enable-xspice configure argument. See
http://cgit.freedesktop.org/xorg/driver/xf86-video-qxl/tree/README.xspice
as well.

>  - Similarly, i’ve found that some of you are interested in seamless
> window — so I am. Do
> you have any idea of the stuff to do for that?

Iirc there are 2 approaches to do that, which I forgot ;) This probably
involves the agent transmitting application windows positions, and the
client masking everything except the windows we are interested in. But
maybe there are smarter ways, I really don't know ;)