[Spice-devel] remote-viewer "kiosk-mode"

Marc-André Lureau mlureau at redhat.com
Tue Sep 4 01:58:58 PDT 2012

Hey

----- Original Message -----

> > I don't want the spice client to grab the mouse or keyboard, as
> > this
> > prevents xscreensaver from starting:
> > "xscreensaver unable to grab keyboard or mouse!  Blanking aborted."
> >

> It seems, remote-viewer is grabbing the server. Can this be disabled?

This is not officially supported, but we may want to do it.
You can run any spice-gtk client with SPICE_NOGRAB=1, and it shouldn't grab
the mouse nor the keyboard. However, that might not be what you want, since
you can easily escape the application (thinking of all the key bindings
handled by the window manager: alt-f4/tab and all the jazz). This option
was mainly added to ease debugging.

Instead, we may want to release the grab after a period of inactivity, so that
the client screen saver can be triggered. There are other way we could handle
that, but perhaps it would make sense at this point to open a bug about
the "kiosk-mode". It seems to have various specific needs and is a common
use case we could better support.

cheers