[Spice-devel] [warning reduction 00/11] Eliminating warnings in xf86-video-qxl

Søren Sandmann sandmann at cs.au.dk
Tue Sep 11 20:06:44 PDT 2012

Jeremy White <jwhite at codeweavers.com> writes:

> The following patch series remove nearly all warnings from
> xf86-video-qxl.

Some general comments:

- You have this pattern where you assign a string to a global variable
  and then you assign that variable to a field instead of the string
  itself. If this really is necessary, I think the string should just be
  cast instead. I haven't been able to make gcc generate that warning
  though. Which option did you use?

- I think -Wshadow is a lost cause. We need to be able to use x1, y1,
  y2, x2, and x_1 etc. is just too ugly.

- Some of your commit headlines are too long. These show up in release
  notes, so please try to keep them below 72 characters.

- As Alon said, inlined patches are easier to read. Also, if you can
  point to a git repository, that makes it much easier to merge the
  patches. We can probably get you a freedesktop.org account if you want
  one.

> The final one does not remove a warning, but documents the related code
> with a TODO as the warning appears to be correct.
>
> You still get a large number of redudant decl warnings from two xorg include
> files even with this; adding -Wno-redundant-decls to CFLAGS suppresses
> those.

It may be worthwhile doing this.

Thanks,
Soren