[Spice-devel] how to limit redirected usb show in guestVM

David Jaša djasa at redhat.com
Thu Apr 25 01:25:15 PDT 2013

bigclouds píše v Čt 25. 04. 2013 v 09:41 +0800:
> hi,all
> if user has several usb, and plug them at the same time when using
> spice-client. all usb devices will be present in guestVM.
> i want to know   if i can control which usb device can be present in
> guestVM?

Yes, you can, using filter string. There is actually a default filter
string in the client that prevents auto-redirection of USB HID devices
(keyboard and mouse).

Filter string can be set on client side (this one controls
auto-redirection) or on server-side (this enforces that disabled devices
can not be redirected to the guest). The basic format is
"class,vendor,device,revision,enable" with "-1" as a wildcard, so when
you launch client with:
--spice-usbredir-auto-redirect-filter="-1,-1,-1,-1,0"
no USB device will be auto-redirected. If you specifiy "-1,-1,-1,-1,0|
8,-1,-1,-1,1", only USB mass storage devices will be auto-redirected.

The full documentation of filter string used to be on Hans's site:
http://people.fedoraproject.org/~jwrdegoede/spice-reference/SpiceUsbDeviceManager.html#SpiceUsbDeviceManager--auto-connect-filter
but it seems to be gone now. Hans, where does it reside now, please?

oVirt also had some knobs in engine-config that control filter string
sent to the client but I don't remember what was its name.

David