[Spice-devel] Fixing the spice-gtk version scheme mess

Hans de Goede hdegoede at redhat.com
Tue Jan 1 02:37:26 PST 2013

Hi all,

Marc-André just did a new Fedora build fixing the
SSL issues we we're having with 0.15 (thanks for that),
but this is based on a git snapshot, and because of
the way our buildsys code generates git snapshot
tarbals is numbered 0.15.3

There are several problems with this:
1. If we've a serious bug like this, we should just do
a new tarbal release with official announcements,
updating of the download page, etc. Fedora / RHEL are
not our only downstreams. Other distributions are
packaging spice-gtk too, and we should behave as a good
upstream for them. Doing an official  0.15.1 bugfix release
would clearly indicate to those other upstreams that
that is the version to use, rather then them having
to pick a random git snapshot.

2. The way our "make dist" generates git snapshot tarbals,
makes it impossible to do a 0.15.1 release now, since
we now already have a 0.15.3 in Fedora.

I would like to propose the following to resolve this:

1. Change "make dist" to add a .0 after the last official
release, so that the git snapshot which was just generated
would have been called 0.15.0.3.

2. Whenever we believe some bugfixes are important enough
to warrant a new Fedora build, also do an official bugfix
release, *and* use that for the Fedora packages, ie the
0.15.3 snapshot would have been an official 0.15.1 release

Regards,

Hans