[Spice-devel] Fixing the spice-gtk version scheme mess

Marc-André Lureau mlureau at redhat.com
Wed Jan 2 02:46:14 PST 2013

Hi

----- Mensaje original -----
> > If we want a new release, let's just do 0.16
>
> This is what we've been doing so far, and *it is not working*
>
> We keep on packaging git snapshots in Fedora and RHEL left and
> right, showiing this scheme is broken.

Please explain what is broken. Btw, we do have release + patches in RHEL. And in Fedora, when we can't take a git snapshot (or when someone want to update with patches). If the tarball + patches is the same as git, we can take a git snapshot. No?

> AFAIK we try to follow gnome / gtk / glib in how we deal
> with most things. All of these have bugfix releases,
> so has the kernel, so has spice[-server], and almost
> any other free software project under the sun!

No, spice-gtk doesn't follow gnome release cycle, version scheme etc. I really try to keep git as stable as possible so we can release at any time. Bug or regressions can always occur no matter how you do. Then a new release is needed.

> Please stop stubbornly pushing your own versioning scheme,
> AFAIK others have had this same discussion with you already
> and told you we need bug fix releases.

I still fail to see what problem we have by making releases this way.