[Spice-devel] Fixing the spice-gtk version scheme mess

Hans de Goede hdegoede at redhat.com
Wed Jan 2 08:12:50 PST 2013

Hi,

On 01/02/2013 05:02 PM, Marc-André Lureau wrote:
> Hi
>
>> Nor can we realistically expect other distros to go and figure out
>> which magic combination of fixes to apply! Therefor we *must* do
>> bugfix releases, to make stable, well-working, versions of spice-gtk
>> available to as wide an audience as possible.
>
> We only stick to a specific version in RHEL. Upstream doesn't have maintained older releases.

The problem is upstream does not have "maintained releases" *at all*, you can leave out
the "older" part, we are not even maintaining the current release, iow we suck.

> What I understand you are complaining about is that upstream doesn't have sticky releases with only bugfixes. This is by choice, not by mistake.

This is by *your*, *personal* choice, not something we've decided as a team, and
I say it is about time we change it, and I know for a fact I'm not the only one
with the opinion that this should be changed.

> 0.16 will be releases as planned, so people following upstream will get the fix.

They will get the fix *this time* because I complained. Doing a band-aid extra
release is not the answer. You conveniently did not respond to me pointing
out that all spice-gtk versions in F-15 to F-18 currently are not "gold"
releases but all "gold" + patches, showing that the current scheme is simply
broken.

Regards,

Hans