[Spice-devel] cut/paste failure on Windows 7 guest

Han Pilmeyer pilux at pilmeyer.nl
Thu Jan 10 02:44:52 PST 2013

On 09/01/2013 10:46, Han Pilmeyer wrote:
> Just to follow up on my earlier problems. I did try the RHEV 3.1 guest
> drivers with F17, but those had the same problem. I then switched
> laptops and installed F18 on the new laptop together with the
> guest-tools-0.3 drivers in the same guest images. My cut/paste
> problems seem to have been resolved as are the frequent problems with
> vdagent failing to start. This makes my life much easier. Thanks for
> providing those drivers!
>
> Now I just need to find out how I can enable smb traffic between the
> host and the guest using samba with the new FirewallD stuff in F18.
> But that's a different story.

It appears that I spoke too soon, i.e. the cut/paste problem is indeed
fixed and I am still happy about that. Unfortunately the guest-tools-0.3
drivers seem to have introduced a new problem that is even worse than
what I experienced before, they crash the Windows 7 guest images. I have
had multiple crashes so far and these happen when I am not specifically
doing anything in the guest (I try to avoid saying they are idle, as I
never quite know what Windows is doing behind the scenes). I estimate
that they crash after half an hour or so.

The offending driver appears to be vioser.sys as shown by the very
limited information (a screenshot of the BSOD) I managed to capture:

*** STOP: 0x0000008E (0xC0000005, 0x8B98C037, 0x8A40BACC, 0x00000000)

***        vioser.sys - Address 8B98C037 base at 8B988000, Datestamp
50b73b6d

Please let me know if there is anything I can do to help.