[Spice-devel] Low SPICE performance on ARM(Cortex A8 and Raspberry Pi) or Atom

Adam Queen adam900710 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 17 00:56:51 PDT 2013

Hi,

I built spice-gtk on my low end devices and want to test their
performance using SPICE.
However the performance seems not so good.

About the host, it's using E7500 CPU with 6G memories.
CentOS 6.3 with qemu-kvm-0.12.1.2.

The guest is Windows 7 with QXL drivers(No agent yet, only QXL driver)
Two cores are assigned to the guest.

The Cortex A8(AllWinner A10 SoC) comes with 1G RAM, Mali 400 GPU with
xf86-sunxifb driver(which is funcional). The distribution is Archlinux
ARM.
But the spice performance is barely acceptable, when a windows
animation occurs, there will a noticeable lag, and a lot of frame
drops when playing a 640x480 video.

The Raspberry Pi is worse since the lower spec.

When comes to Atom with PVR driver, the performance does not improve too much.

In fact, I hope SPICE can beat RDP when connect to a Windows guest,
but overall RDP get a better graphic performance on all the three
devices using xfreerdp.

Would anyone share some info about how to improve the SPICE graphic
performance or what I did wrong to impact the SPICE performance?