[Spice-devel] Spice/LTSP combo

Ivan Krutskikh stein.hak at gmail.com
Thu Jun 13 10:19:00 PDT 2013

Hi

I like spice protocol a lot and want to integrate it into Kiwi/LTSP project
in order to have hybrid terminal server/ VDI solution with diskless client
machines. But there are some things, that I need to clear out first:

1) In order to create an LTSP screen session, I need to start spice client
(spicec or spicy) in full screen mode with security creditials, spice
adress and auto usb redirection on. I can do most of it with spicec command
line options, but it seams to lack support for usb redirection. How can I
do the same with spicy?

2) Excuse me if f.a.q, but I need to make usb devices redirection possible
for non-root users. I suppose, that should be done with udev rule, but no
expert in hardware security issues.

3) Sometime I get video artefacts from when viewing IP cameras on a virtual
machine. Example image attached. I believe, this happens due to the video
detection and mjpeg compression in spice ( h264 ip cam --> player decoding
--> raw video --> spice stream detection and mjpeg encoding --> client
video decoding --> raw video with artefacts). So the reasonable step would
be to disable video stream compression for local network in libvirt xml
file. But there are 4 parameters: image compression, jpeg compression, zlib
compression, playback compression- I don't know which one to disable and
how. Setting all to "off" and "never" seams to resolv the issue, but leads
to crappy wan performance.

Thanks in advance!