[Spice-devel] spice-guest-tools 0.52 and winxp doesn't boot anymore

Christophe Fergeau cfergeau at redhat.com
Wed Mar 13 02:01:06 PDT 2013

Hey Gianluca

On Tue, Mar 12, 2013 at 09:54:56PM +0100, Gianluca Cecchi wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 11, 2013 at 10:00 AM, Christophe Fergeau wrote:
>
> > There are various issues with this release, could you try to disable the
> > balloon service (blnsvr.exe)?
> > If this does not help, can you try removing the vioserial driver? This
> > will break c&p/automatic resolution, but this would at least help pinpoint
> > the buggy component.
> >
> > Thanks for your report,
> >
> > Christophe
>
> hello,
> I think the critical part is the network driver.
> In fact:
>
> - boot safe mode --> ok
> - boot safe mode with network --> ko
> - boot safe mode, then disable virtio network adapter and reboot in
> normal mode --> ok

Ah ok, thanks for your testing.

> see here screenshot with network adapter disabled:
> https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BwoPbcrMv8mvbWVJQmJBbVozOTA/edit?usp=sharing
>
> any way to revert only the network driver? Or do you have another one to test?

If the network driver is the culprit, just uninstall it and forget about
that issue, it's generally not that important, you'll get network without
it, just a bit less performant.

> BTW: I can see that balloon service is configured as automatic but is
> not started....
> In event viewer I see that there is an error message at start of system with
> Servizio BalloonService bloccato in partenza.
> (blocked at start)
> I don't know if this depends on network not being active....
> I don't find similar messages the days before today... and I don't
> know if this service has to be always active

I don't know either actually ;) Maybe it only starts when the device needed
by the balloon driver/service is present. I've actually never tested ballooning ;)