[Spice-devel] Usbredir tcp questions

Hans de Goede hdegoede at redhat.com
Wed Mar 20 09:25:44 PDT 2013

Hi,

On 03/19/2013 05:10 PM, Fabio Fantoni wrote:
> For now we are unable to have qxl working with xen and spice performances without it are not so good.
> We are trying to have usbredir without spice to solve at least another big problem with proprietary usb redirection with windows that is bugged.
> On our tests opensource usbredir seems very good and without critical bugs found for now.
>
> I have not found good documentation about usbredir tcp, so I tried this:
>
> On qemu:
> -chardev socket,id=charredir0,host=192.168.1.38,port=4000 -device","usb-redir,chardev=charredir0,id=redir0,bus=usb.0
>
> On client:
> usbredirserver -p 4000 -v 4 xxxx:xxxx
>
> It is working but it seems that usbredir must launched before qemu or qemu wan't start.

Correct, it should be quite easy to change usbredirserver to act as a client (please copy
the .c file to usbredirclient.c and modify that if you want to go that way, and then to
make qemu listen instead of connect, then you no longer need to launch the usbredir server
first.

> Is there a way to assign multiple devices and to add these even after qemu launch?

In the upcoming qemu-1.5 it will be possible to dynamically add chardevs.

> Is there something that do automatic share when pluging-in usb devices similar to spice-gtk with usbredir tcp?

No, I'm afraid not.

Regards,

Hans