[Spice-devel] kde/spice crashes when firefox is started

Rob Verduijn rob.verduijn at gmail.com
Thu May 30 01:15:16 PDT 2013

Hello,

I'm using qemu not xspice.

I've been digging around a bit more and found out that not only
kdm/kde/spicy crashes, but the kernel freezes up completely for a
while.
I've attached the message log from the canary thread that was
generated during this. (messages)
Also I attached the Xorg.0.log before the crash. (Xorg.0.log.before_crash)
The Xorg.0.log before after the crash.

And now the more interesting bit:
After the crash of kdm/kde/spice I am dumped on the console.
So I tried restarting, after which I can log in again to the desktop via spice.
And to my surprise I can now launch firefox without a crash, but it is
very slow, and the xorg.0.log is swamped with 'out of surfaces'
errors.
Everything else from kde however is very fast and responsive, looking
through the start menu, starting apps.
All apps that are native to kde are very fast and responsive, libre
office is also responsive.
It seems that apps from the gnome desktop are all very slow or at
least sluggish now. (I tried only a few, pidgin firefox gimp)

I had a look at gdb, and saw that it's a bit over my head.
Could you explain how to use gdb in combination with the X process ?

One last note,
Since I'm having troubles with qxl for some time now I've been trying
the latest git version of xf86-video-qxl
I applied all patches but the last 5 kms patches since those refuse to
compile for me.
And one additional patch from myself because rpmlint refuses to build
unless that one is applied (9000-fix-strncat-bufferoverflow.patch)

Cheers
Rob