[Spice-devel] RFC on sound codec refactoring

Marc-André Lureau mlureau at redhat.com
Tue Oct 8 12:23:17 CEST 2013

----- Original Message -----
> >   2.  Modify qemu to change the device sample rate dynamically
> >
> >       This seems like it should be possible.  I'm working up a
> >       hack to try it (basically, we regen the rate at voice_enable
> >       time).  This seems to fly in the face of 'normal'
> >       practice, so there is probably something horrible wrong with it.
> >
> >       But it's fun to play :-).
>
> Attached is a patch that suggests my idea.  I've done some hacks,
> and it seems 'safe' to adjust the rate on the fly like this.

line_out_ctl is driven by guest. Why would you change the rate when the device start/stop a stream? I don't think that's the right approach.

I think the suggestion by Gerd & Christophe should be enough.

If qemu is old, it should use 44.1 celt only.
If qemu is new, it can use 48 celt or opus.

This doesn't have to change dynamically, the client should be able to adapt to any of these situations.