[Spice-devel] [patch 0/2] vdagent KEYVAL extension

Marc-André Lureau mlureau at redhat.com
Tue Oct 8 17:22:07 CEST 2013

Hi!

----- Original Message -----
> This is my second approach to implement the ability to send utf8 input from
> spice-gtk to spiceterm.

> https://git.proxmox.com/?p=spiceterm.git;a=summary
>
> The patch is quite simple.
>
> I still hope there is some interest to get that working?

Yes, although I think we should be able to send arbitrary utf8 input in the protocol. If I read your proposal right, you are sending UCS-4 codes, no utf8?

I think you should use gdk_keyval_to_unicode() then g_ucs4_to_utf8() for key input and efficiency (in your spice-gtk patch). Do not send both to agent and hw input layer, because the agent can't easily tell which of these two events should be discarded. The client however, should know when the agent fully supports utf8 input. However, this will probably be more difficult to handle in the agent, when no input method is available (console etc). Either the utf8 input will need to be translated and sent to uinput, but that's not very elegant, or the agent will have to inform the client to switch to hw input.

I guess this is not a concern for spiceterm, because it is implementing an agent itself, and cannot be turned off, and also because you handle all inputs. Perhaps you could introduce spiceterm? The repo is lacking a simple README file just to make things clear what is really about :)